- Community & Economic Development
- Community Development
- Solar in Bensenville
Solar in Bensenville
The Village of Bensenville is participating in the SolSmart program funded by the U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative, which helps local governments reduce barriers to solar energy growth and make it easier for homes and businesses to go solar.
Bensenville has achieved the Silver level designation in the SolSmart program indicating the village is “open for solar business”. The village streamlined its permit and plan review process, and updated its Solar Energy Code to encourage the use of solar energy as a renewable energy resource.
New solar energy systems reduce energy demand, reduce the use of fossil fuels, create jobs and will help Bensenville achieve the goals of the Comprehensive Green Action Plan. Refer to Bensenville’s Solar Permitting Guidelines and Checklist for information about permits and the application and inspection processes. Read the full press release
- Solar Permitting Guidelines and Checklist
- Bensenville’s Solar Energy Systems Ordinance
- ComEd Green Connection Information
- ComEd Interconnect Information
- ComEd Interconnect Frequently Asked Questions
- DSIRE Database for State Incentives for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
- Grow Solar Local Government Solar Toolkit
- Homeowners Solar Rights Act
- Project Sunroof
- U.S. Department of Energy State and Local Energy Data
- Bensenville's Solar Statement
Consumer Protection Resources
The links below range from basic residential consumer resources, to resources on land leasing for larger landowners.
- Going Solar In America
- Illinois Solar Energy Association – Consumer Protection Business Code of Conduct
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- Solar Energy Industries Association – Solar Customer Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association – Consumer Protection Industry Resource Portal
Find an Installer
In Illinois a solar installation company must have Distributed Generation Certification through the Illinois Commerce Commission or be working with a subcontractor who has this certification. The links below provide lists of certified installers.