- Programs for Residents
- Home Energy Assistance Program
Home Energy Assistance Programs
ComEd AC Tune-Up Discounts
Heating and cooling costs account for about half of your energy bills, according to ENERGY STAR. To ensure your system is operating efficiently and optimally, which can help you save on energy costs and promote a longer lifespan of your equipment, perform routine maintenance. Change air filters regularly and schedule a cooling system tune-up in the spring. ComEd offers $25 discounts on AC tune-ups and $50 discounts on air source heat pump tune-ups if service is completed by a contractor enrolled in the ComEd Energy Efficiency Service Providers (EESP) network. For more information on the discounts, go to the ComEd Home Heating & Cooling Discounts webpage.
ComEd Advanced Power Strip Discount
Advanced power strips (also called smart power strips) are an inexpensive way to help you save energy and money. Some of your electronic devices that are plugged in may continue to draw power, even when they’re not in use. These devices are known as “energy vampires” and include TVs, computers, phone chargers, video game consoles, and more. Advanced power strips make it easy to save energy because they automatically cut off power when the devices are not in use.
ComEd is offering instant discounts of up to $12 on advanced power strips, which can be purchased through the ComEd Marketplace or at select Family Dollar and Dollar Tree stores. For more information, go to the ComEd Home Products Discounts webpage.
Nicor Gas Air Sealing, Insulation, and Duct Sealing Rebates in 2022
Did you know that 9 out of 10 homes in the U.S. are under-insulated, according to ENERGY STAR? Insulation helps keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The EPA estimates that homeowners can save 15% on heating and cooling costs by completing air sealing and insulation projects in attics, floors over crawl spaces, and accessible basement rim joists. Sealing leaks and adding insulation also provide other benefits, including reduced noise from outside, lower chance for ice dams on the roof, and less pollen, dust, and insects (or pests) entering your home, ENERGY STAR states on its website.
Nicor Gas is providing rebates to residents who make energy-efficient upgrades to their homes in 2022. For each home, Nicor Gas offers rebates of $225 for air sealing, $200 for attic insulation, $400 for duct sealing, and $100-150 for wall insulation. For these air sealing, insulation, and duct sealing projects, the work must be performed by a Nicor Gas-approved contractor. The contractor will apply the instant rebate to the customer’s invoice.
For more information, go to the Nicor Gas Rebates webpage or call Nicor Gas at 877-886-4239.
ComEd Smart Thermostat Rebates in 2022
ENERGY STAR thermostats can help residents save energy and money.Smart thermostats connect to a home’s Wi-Fi and allow you to control the temperature from web-enabled devices, whether you’re at home or away. The thermostats learn the temperatures that you like and establish a schedule that automatically adjusts to energy-saving temperatures when you are asleep or not at home. Residents who buy and install an ENERGY STAR smart thermostat in 2022 can receive a $75 rebate from ComEd. There are a few ways to receive the rebate:
- Purchase a discounted smart thermostat at the ComEd Marketplace.
- Use an instant coupon at participating retailers.
- Buy a smart thermostat and fill out the rebate application (online or PDF) within 60 days of purchase or by Feb. 28, 2023, whichever comes first.
For more information, go to the ComEd Smart Thermostat Rebates page. For free installation of a discounted smart thermostat, residents may want to consider scheduling a free in-home energy assessment through ComEd.
Nicor Gas Equipment Rebates in 2022
Residents who purchase and install certain energy-efficient gas furnaces, boilers, combination boilers, tankless water heaters or smart thermostats in 2022 may be eligible for a Nicor Gas rebate.
- Furnaces: For furnaces with an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) of 97% or above, a $225 rebate is available. If the AFUE is 95% or above, a $200 rebate is offered.
- Boilers: For residential-sized boilers with an input capacity of less than 300 MBTUH (Thousand British Thermal Units per Hour), a $350 rebate is offered if the AFUE is 95% or above.
- Combination boilers (boiler and integrated domestic hot water): A $500 rebate is offered for residential-sized combination boilers with an input capacity of less than 300 MBTUH and minimum efficiency of 95% AFUE.
- Tankless water heaters: Nicor Gas offers $150 rebates for residential gas tankless water heaters ≤ 75 MBTUH and an efficiency rating of UEF (Uniform Energy Factor) ≥ .87.
- Smart thermostats: A $25 rebate is available for ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostats.
A professional contractor must install the product(s), unless otherwise noted in the Nicor Gas rebate application. Rebate applications (online or PDF) must be submitted within 90 days of installation or by Jan. 31, 2023, whichever comes first. For more details or to apply for a rebate, go to the Nicor Gas Rebates webpage or call Nicor Gas at 877-886-4239.